This event was associated with coastal flooding along parts of the south coast, including many locations in the county of Cornwall (Cornwall Council, 2011) as a result of spring tide and gales.
Weymouth Quayside saw 20 feet hole in sea wall (Burrows, 2017).
Receptor and Consequence
Affected locations in Cornwall over the last week of August 1992 included Wadebridge, Hayle and Lelant, Newlyn, Penzance and Long Rock, Helston, Falmouth and Penryn, Perranarworthal, Truro, Pentewan, Bugle, St Blazey and Tywardreath, the Glyn Valley and East Taphouse (Cornwall Council, 2011; Haigh et al., 2015).
From North Devon, Knight (2016) reported that Bideford Quay and Barnstaple high street flooded causing thousands of pounds worth damage. Brighton also affected as Lawrence (2011) recorded roads, harbour, and homes flooded in the area. In Weymouth, flooding affected multi-storey car park to well beyond Town Bridge (Burrows, 2017).
|Loss of life||*|
|Residential property||Homes flooded.|
|Evacuation & Rescue||*|
|Cost||Thousands of pounds worth of damage.|
|Transport||Roads and harbour flooded.|
|Water & wastewater||*|
|Coastal defences||20 feet hole in sea wall, Weymouth.|
*No known sources of information available
- Cornwall Council, (2011). Preliminary Flood Risk Assessment ANNEX 5 – Chronology of Major Flood Events in Cornwall, Truro.
- Burrows, S. (2017). Analysis of Historical Coastal Floods in Dorset from 1935 -2014. Southampton Undergraduate Thesis.
- Haigh, I. D., Wadey, M. P., Gallop, S. L., Loehr, H., Nicholls, R. J., Horsburgh, K., Brown, J. M., and Bradshaw, E., (2015). ‘A user-friendly database of coastal flooding in the United Kingdom from 1915–2014’. Scientific Data, 2, p.150021. Available at: http://www.nature.com/articles/sdata201521.
- Knight, H. (2016). An Investigation into Coastal Flooding in the Region Surrounding the Taw Torridge Estuary. Southampton Undergraduate Thesis.
- Lawrence, A. (2017). A Historical Analysis of Coastal Flooding in South-East England 1924-2016. Southampton Undergraduate Thesis.